Thursday, March 5, 2009

Top Ten Baseball Card Brands of the 80's and 90's

If you're like me, you spent half your youth scrambling to collect as many baseball cards as humanly possible.

The thought process behind this mad dash was that you'd lock them away in a closet for thirty years and they'd be worth millions.

But what we didn't realize was that everyone our age was doing the exact same thing and now 99.9% of them aren't worth the paper they're printed on.

Nonetheless, baseball cards were a mainstay during the 80's and 90's.

Here are the top ten brands from that era:

10. Post Cereal


I don't remember much about the Post Cereal sets except that I threw them away the minute after I got them.

They were included on this list for one reason.

To represent of all the bogus cards you got in your cereal, fast food places and other fine establishments.


9. Score


Usually picked up a pack of these only if I was low on cash. And even then I'd usually buy a pack of their football cards. But when you start throwing in a sweet insert like that MVP hologram how can any young man with $2 in his pocket resist?

That looked hot on my Huffy.

8. Classic


If I remember correctly, they came out with a blinding hot pink card at one point.

The guy who came up with that is working the mop bucket in a Denny's located somewhere in Alaska.

7. Leaf


Anything that shares their name with the worst quarterback in NFL history has to die sometime right?


6. Bowman


I hated Bowman cards with a burning passion when I was growing up.

Why you ask?

Because they never fit into my baseball card binder, they were way too long.

(Looking back, I might have been a huge baseball card nerd complaining about the uniformness of my binder)


5. Donruss


Your honor, I'd like to submit Exhibit A to the court.


4. Skybox


I always felt like a million bucks after I bought a pack of Skybox cards.

Ultra glossy and uniquely designed, they were the best basketball cards on the block.

3. Fleer


Creator of perhaps the most well know NBA rookie card of all time.

M. Jeff, with hair, short shorts and the tongue wagging for everyone to see.


2. Topps


The original.

Nuff said.

(That and I loved how the gum shattered into a million pieces when you bit into it)


1. Upper Deck


Topps may be the original, but Upper Deck was no doubt the ultimate brand of baseball cards growing up.

I'd still trade just about my entire collection for that Ken Griffey Jr. baseball card. Everyone knew somebody that knew somebody whose cousin had it, but I never saw it unless I was at a coin shop.

Bogus.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

hahaha nice list

Anonymous said...

I have about 4 of those Griffey Rookie cards. My dad said it would pay for college. Instead, it MIGHT pay for a night at the bar.

Anonymous said...

Why not do a best Starter hat of the 90's?

Or best flavor of Big League Chew?

Whatever the guy who did a list on twitter had last week, it must be catchy, because you got it today.

Matthew Olsen said...

Get over yourself.

Having fun a little once in awhile isn't necessarily a bad thing.

If you want drama and pointless arguments 24/7, head over to ESPN.com and blow up the message boards with your pointless banter.

And actually, I love those ideas so I guess thanks for the future lists.

Top Ten Starter Hats?

Kinda catchy don't ya think?

Anonymous said...

All credibility this site once held, which was little, is now gone.

Can't wait for your baseball lists to get here, so I can read the about why the Cubs/Sox are the better team in the city.

And why an Old Style is better than a Bud Light, and what side goes better with a Polish. depending if your sitting in the right field seats or behind home plate.

Get over yourself. This site is really not as good as you think that it is.

Ricky O'Donnell said...

hey guys, this is a sports blog. I'm not sure what sports blogs you do think have "credibility" - or even what your definition of the word is - but this site isn't exactly how any of us make our living. We just do it for fun, and hopefully some people like it. These anonymous commentors that are bashing us....hey, that's fine, but realize that coming up with a new top ten list every day for over a year is pretty tough. Sometimes you've gotta reach a little bit; we don't always take ourselves so seriously.

And to the last guy who said "this site isn't as good as you think it is", well, we're not nearly as pretentious as you think, and I don't really believe anything anyone has ever written here should lead people to believe that in the first place.

WE DO THIS FOR FUN. Go ahead and disagree, that's all fine and good (it comes with the territory) but some of these criticisms don't even make sense.

Scott Phillips said...

Olsen, I love the list,

But no love for Flair? Flair was always the coolest because of how thick the cards were. They were like the fancy version of sports cards and you could only afford them if you mowed like 10 lawns that week haha.

Unknown said...

My buddy had that Jordan card in a plaque on his wall; the one supposedly worth like $1200 in 1996. We spent about two hours trying to remove the card from the plaque, ultimately destroying this nicely-finished wood card holder to get it out. We finally did, and when we turned the card over in big red letters in a mock stamp it read: "REPLICA". I think that might have been the last time I associated myself with trading cards.